Getting an IEP for Your Child and When to Seek the Counsel of a Special Needs Lawyer

NEW JERSEY. If your child has autism or special needs, he or she may be entitled to receive additional accommodations from his or her school. In order to secure additional accommodations in school for your special needs child, you’ll need to develop an IEP, or Individualized Education Program. According to Kids Health, parents may sometimes need assistance navigating access to these programs and benefits. Additional educational programs and support is available to all public school special needs children at no additional charge, but parents may sometimes need to be strong advocates for their children.

An IEP not only alerts educators about the learning style and needs of your child, but it also makes it possible for you to access additional support and services for your child when needed. Children with learning disabilities, ADHD, emotional disorders, autism, hearing impairments, visual impairments, speech or language impairments, developmental delays, or physical disabilities may need an IEP on file.

Generally, an IEP is developed when parents meet with the teachers and request an evaluation. An evaluation can include a team including a psychologist, a physical therapist, an occupational therapist, a speech therapist, a special educator, a vision or hearing specialist, or other specialists, depending on your child’s needs. Also, parents must be part of the IEP team, by law. Based on the evaluation outcome, an IEP will be developed to outline additional support and services your child will need.

What happens if you disagree with the results of the individual evaluation? According to the New Jersey Department of Education, parents who disagree with the evaluation performed by the school can ask that an independent evaluation be performed. However, if you still have difficulty gaining access to support for your child, you may want to retain the services of a special needs attorney. The Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. offers special needs law services and can assist you with the appeals process.

Children who have IEPs on file may receive additional support in school and they may also receive special waivers to get additional time to complete standardized tests like the SAT. If you are concerned about your child’s progress, getting an IEP may be one way to help your child.

It can be costly to get special needs support for your child on your own. Tutoring and specialists can cost hundreds of dollars an hour. Parents may not always be aware that their child’s public school may be required to provide these services to their child for free. Unfortunately, some teachers may not be aware that a student’s struggles stem from a learning disability or from an accessibility issue. Parents may not always be aware that their child could get access to services that can improve their children’s outcomes in school. If your child is having accessibility issues in school, it may be helpful to seek the assistance of a New Jersey special needs lawyer like the Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.

Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
354 Eisenhower Parkway,
Suite 2025
PO Box 2205,

Livingston, NJ 07039
Tel: (973) 567 0954
Fax: (973) 629 1294

By |2018-09-27T15:14:09+00:00September 27th, 2018|Uncategorized|0 Comments

About the Author:

I have been representing clients of all types for over 20 years, working with personal injury clients, representing people before numerous Municipal courts throughout Bergen, Essex, Morris, Union, and Passaic Counties and assisting persons in the Superior Court in complex litigation throughout the state.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This